Transfer Student Information
Freshman and Transfer Admissions Information
Information about Virginia Tech’s School of Visual Art Majors:
- The School of Visual Art has three degree programs with different courses of study: a BA in Art History, and BFA’s in Studio, or Visual Communication Design (VCD).
- Those students intending to major in the BFA Program in either Studio or VCD must apply to gain entry to these majors – SOVA has a restricted program in these two areas of study.
- Application to Studio and VCD programs is made at the end of a student’s first semester at Tech through a portfolio review process– Students applying for acceptance into Tech do not submit portfolios.
- Art History majors are exempt from the restricted program review process.
- Prospective students,both freshmen applicants as well as transfer students, should declare ART as their major. Students must then be accepted to Virginia Tech, SOVA is not involved in the acceptance process and does not review portfolios at that time. Once accepted, students will be enrolled in the three prerequisite courses: ART 1204 Principles of Art and Design, ART 1404 Drawing I, and ART 1604 Principles of New Media Art & Design for the fall semester.
- In these foundations courses, students will be guided toward preparation of a qualifying juried portfolio review towards their acceptance into the Studio and/or VCD BFA degree programs.
- Annually, the Portfolio Review takes place toward the end of the first semester, usually during the first week of December.
- Students who pass the Portfolio Review are then placed in their selected major if accepted.
- Students who pass the Portfolio Review are then eligible for SOVA scholarships. No separate portfolio is needed for scholarship applications.
Planning a Visit?