Every VCD student is required to complete an internship. It's a way for you to practice what you've learned in the classroom out in the work environment. All internships must be approved in advance and are the responsibility of the student to seek out and arrange. Below are the steps and requirements students need to take in order to get an internship opportunity approved.
- The student may not work for a relative or family member.
- The student must be a junior or senior (senior preferred).
- The internship must have a graphic design focus.
- The internship must be for at least 130 hours.
STEPS FOR STUDENTS TO TAKE
Below are the steps students should follow to secure their internship. We request that all internships be approved in advance. There is no guarantee that internships will be retroactively awarded.
- Contact your potential employer and ask them to send a description of the job to the VCD Area Coordinator on their company letterhead.
- Fill out the internship paperwork (these forms can be found at the SOVA Office) and sign up for the internship class with the university registrar after you've received approval from the VCD Area Coordinator.
- Work at your internship until your commitment is fulfilled.
- Ask your employer to send the VCD Area Coordinator a letter (on company letterhead) stating that your internship is complete and have them to evaluate your performance.
- Bring samples of your work you completed during your internship to the Area Coordinator.
Internships need to be reciprocal and advantageous to both the student and the employer. What is the point of landing a high profile internship if you're just going to be running coffee? Similarly, our students act as embassadors for the Visual Communication Design Department and we want to help match our student's strengths with an employer's needs appropriately.
FOURDESIGN is a faculty-led, student-run digital and print design agency that creates rich media experiences to help a diverse range of organizations build stronger relationships with their customers.